Monday 22 February 2016

Music Research + Choices

Music research + Choices:
Perhaps one of the most important factors in film, especially the horror genre. Music sets the tone in each scene and gives you a vague idea of what is about to happen. Some of the biggest horror films of all time have unforgettable soundtracks / audio, for example JAWS, that low resonating sound “Duh duh… Duh duh.... duh duh, duh duh, duh duh, duh duh”. Halloween, a Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, the Exorcist, all have unforgettable spine tingling soundtracks. My favourite perhaps the screeching violins in Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho.


I would like the trailer to be quite quiet, eerie, full of tension and suspense with little speech. This is why the music is such a big deal in our film, it must set the tone for the whole trailer and set a tense setting. We have reviewed a number of tracks to use, here was the first one:
It is the sound of an old music box which sounds rather scary, creating that tense vibe, as if something or someone is watching. Another one I found was on a visual zoom in world on youtube, I wasn’t even looking for music at this point, I was browsing Youtube and the music was very trippy, it doesn’t really make much sense but makes you feel very uncomfortable, especially when matched with some of the footage we have, I want to use it over the murder scenes, for I put it over the the scene where I am hanging and it was very effective, by far the best scene we have. Here is the link:
The last piece of audio I got was personally my favourite, the low resonating sound is very effective in trying to create tension and suspense, even when the scene itself is not neccesarily scary, the music always keeps you on the edge of your seat. Here is the link:

I am not sure if I will use anymore different audio, or even the three I have. I will decide when I come to the final edit, all of these videos are copyright free.

No comments:

Post a Comment